Current:Home > FinanceLive updates | Foreign passport holders enter Rafah crossing -Visionary Wealth Guides
Live updates | Foreign passport holders enter Rafah crossing
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 15:26:04
Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday. It appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago.
Early Wednesday, providers Paltel and Jawwal reported a “complete disruption” of communications and internet services in Gaza, the second major cut in five days. Humanitarian aid agencies have warned that such blackouts severely disrupt their work in an already dire situation in Gaza.
The Palestinian death toll in the Israel-Hamas war has reached 8,525, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry in Gaza. In the occupied West Bank, more than 122 Palestinians have been killed in violence and Israeli raids.
More than 1,400 people in Israel have been killed, most of them civilians slain in the initial Oct. 7 Hamas rampage that started the fighting. In addition, around 240 hostages were taken from Israel into Gaza by the militant group. One of the captives, a female Israeli soldier, was rescued in a special forces operation.
Currently:
1. 5 hostages of Hamas are free, offering some hope to families of more than 200 still captive
2. Yemen’s Houthi rebels claim attacks on Israel, drawing their main sponsor Iran closer to Hamas war.
3. Bolivia severs diplomatic ties with Israel as Chile and Colombia recall their ambassadors.
4. Amnesty International says Israeli forces wounded Lebanese civilians with white phosphorus.
5. Biden’s Cabinet secretaries will push Congress to send aid to Israel and Ukraine.
6. Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war.
Here’s what is happening in the latest Israel-Hamas war:
DOZENS OF PEOPLE ENTER THE RAFAH CROSSING FROM GAZA TO EGYPT
RAFAH, Gaza — Dozens of people could be seen entering the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday. It appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the war.
Hundreds have gathered at the crossing at different times in recent weeks, but have not been allowed out due to disagreements among Egypt, Israel and Hamas. No one has been allowed to leave Gaza, except for four hostages released by Hamas. Another captive was rescued by Israeli forces earlier this week.
Egyptian state-run media reported that more than 80 wounded Palestinians would be brought from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday for medical treatment. Ambulances were seen entering the Rafah crossing from the Egyptian side, and a field hospital has been set up in the nearby town of Sheikh Zuweid.
The Palestinian crossing authority said more than 400 foreign passport holders would be permitted to leave Gaza on Wednesday. Egypt has said it will not accept an influx of Palestinian refugees because of fears Israel will not allow them to return to Gaza after the war.
GAZA IS PLUNGED BACK INTO A COMMUNICATION BLACKOUT
CAIRO — Gaza has once again suffered a communication blackout, providers Paltel and Jawwal said Wednesday.
In an email to The Associated Press, internet-access advocacy group NetBlocks.org confirmed that Gaza “is in the midst of a total or near-total telecoms blackout consistent with” the weekend blackout.
Connectivity was previously cut from late Friday to early Sunday, coinciding with the entry of large numbers of ground troops into Gaza in what Israel at the time described as a new stage in the war. Attempts to reach Gaza residents by phone were unsuccessful early Wednesday.
Humanitarian aid agencies have warned that such blackouts severely disrupt their work in an already dire situation in Gaza.
The aid group Doctors Without Borders said the blackout has hampered its activities. Guillemette Thomas, medical coordinator for the group, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières, said the blackout has made it “impossible to coordinate” its activities. She said they have been unable to reach the group’s team in Gaza hospitals since Tuesday evening.
PAKISTAN URGES ACTION AFTER ISRAELI AIRSTRIKES ON A REFUGEE CAMP
ISLAMABAD — Pakistan’s interim Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar on Wednesday denounced the latest Israeli airstrikes on a refugee camp near Gaza City, urging the international community to play its role in ending such strikes.
“Yesterday’s air raid on Jabalia camp, where hundreds of lives were lost, including women and children, was a stark reminder of ongoing Israeli brutalities and war crimes in Gaza,” Kakar said in a statement.
He said that “such reprehensible acts can never be condoned or forgotten. The world must act now to end this carnage.”
THREE ARAB STATES DENOUNCE ISRAEL’S AIRSTRIKES ON A REFUGEE CAMP
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Three Arab states have strongly criticized Israel’s airstrikes on a refugee camp near Gaza City as its war on Hamas rages.
Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates each issued statements denouncing the strikes on the Jabaliya camp. The exact number of casualties was not immediately clear in the strikes, though one doctor said hundreds were killed and wounded.
Qatar, which as been mediating talks with Hamas over the more than 200 hostages it holds from its Oct. 7 attack on Israel, described the strike as “a new massacre against the defenseless Palestinian people, especially women and children.” The country warned that “the expansion of Israeli attacks in (the) Gaza Strip … is a dangerous escalation in the course of confrontations, which would undermine mediation and de-escalation efforts.”
___
Associated Press writer Jon Gambrell contributed.
U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE TO TRAVEL TO ISRAEL ON FRIDAY
WASHINGTON — United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced plans to travel to Israel on Friday to consult with Israeli officials about their ongoing war on Hamas.
State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Tuesday that Blinken would visit Israel “and then will make other stops in the region.” He did not identify the other planned stops.
Blinken made an urgent trip to the Middle East earlier in October, visiting Israel, Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- University of Arizona student shot to death at off-campus house party
- Sophia Bush makes red carpet debut with girlfriend Ashlyn Harris: See the photos
- The Rolling Stones setlist: Here are all the songs on their Hackney Diamonds Tour
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- More than a dozen military families in Hawaii spark trial over 2021 jet fuel leak that tainted water
- Clayton MacRae : 2024 Crypto Evolution
- Why Kate Middleton and Prince William's Marriage Is More Relatable Than Ever
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Are weighted sleep products safe for babies? Lawmaker questions companies, stores pull sales
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 3 U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones, worth about $30 million each, have crashed in or near Yemen since November
- Multiple tornadoes, severe weather hit Midwest: See photos of damage, destruction
- 'American Idol' recap: Shania Twain helps Abi Carter set a high bar; two singers go home
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Sea off New England had one of its hottest years in 2023, part of a worldwide trend
- AIGM Predicts Cryto will takeover Stocks Portfolio
- Martin Freeman reflects on age-gap controversy with Jenna Ortega in 'Miller's Girl'
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Clippers blow 31-point lead before holding on to edge Mavericks in wild Game 4
House and Senate negotiate bill to help FAA add more air traffic controllers and safety inspectors
A Plastics Plant Promised Pennsylvania Prosperity, but to Some Residents It’s Become a ‘Shockingly Bad’ Neighbor
Could your smelly farts help science?
Philips will pay $1.1 billion to resolve US lawsuits over breathing machines that expel debris
White House Correspondents' Dinner overshadowed by protests against Israel-Hamas war
Martin Freeman reflects on age-gap controversy with Jenna Ortega in 'Miller's Girl'